As if something going wrong with your plumbing wasn't bad enough — accidentally hiring an unreliable or dishonest plumber or contractor just adds insult to injury. As you search for the right person to get the job done, and get it done well, there are a few things you should keep in mind...
How to Recognize a Subpar Plumber
If the plumber you're considering tries any of the following, they are definitely not the best choice for you:
- They avoid putting any estimates in writing or want to start a job before a contract is signed.
- They will only accept cash payments or asked to be paid "under the table."
- Their prices are suspiciously low OR high. (It's always good to get 3-4 estimates so you can compare prices and spot a scam).
- They ask for a down payment that's more than 25% of the overall cost.
- They can't justify the materials they want to use and charge you for. (If they're giving you a quote for copper pipes and can't explain why they want to use copper over PVC, it's generally not a good sign.)
Questions to Ask Your Potential Plumber
A great way to keep yourself from hiring a fraud is to ask questions as a screening process. Any specific information you can get out of them is a step in the right direction, but you should make it a point to ask:
- Do you charge an hourly or a flat rate?
- Will you be taking on this job by yourself, or will there be others helping you? (Who are these other people? What is their specific purpose in being there?)
- How long will this job take?
- What licenses, insurance, certifications, etc. do you have? (If they cannot provide proof of any of these, turn them away immediately!)
- Is this your specialty? (If your personal toilet overflows you don't need someone who has been a commercial plumber for 10 years, or if you're remodeling you don't want someone who has only ever done repairs!)
With Ken's Plumbing you won't have to worry about any of these problems. If you want someone you can trust to answer all of your questions and get the job done fast, well, and honestly, give us a call at (864) 242-5511 or contact us online today. After all, we don't call ourselves "The Picky People's Plumber" for nothing!
If you enjoyed this plumbing article, please check out other posts on our blog and join us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ to see why the Greenville, SC area calls us "The Picky People's Plumber!"