If your home was built before the 1990s and you're still using the plumbing that was built into the house, it's safe to say you're wasting both time and money. You need to install WaterSense labeled products which will allow you to save dozens of gallons of water per year, which means you can save hundreds of dollars, too!
If you've made a conscious effort to turn off lights in rooms you're not in, set your thermostat to more efficient temperatures, and do larger loads of laundry, it's time for you to make high-efficiency plumbing a part of your eco-friendly lifestyle as well. Discover the difference it can make:
Why Make the Switch to Water-Efficient Plumbing?
- Low flow showerheads: Traditional showerheads typically dispense 5-8 gallons of water per minute while newer low flow models dispense only 2-2.5 gallons of water per minute. This means you'll use AT LEAST 50% less water if you keep your shower time the same!
- High efficiency toilets: Traditional toilets use 1.6 gallons of water (or more) with every flush while high efficiency toilets use only 1.28 gallons of water per flush. This change won't save you quite as much as the showerhead will, but every bit helps.
- Water efficient faucets: Your current faucet is likely dispensing at least 2 gallons of water per minute when a water-efficient faucet would only dispense about 1.5 gallons per minute. This change is a particularly easy one because you'll only need to install an aerator to reap the benefits!
- High efficiency washing machines: Your old washing machine may still work like new, but it's also probably using 23 gallons of water per load whereas a high efficiency washing machine uses only 15. Also, be sure you're using the right cycles to avoid heating water when you could be washing in cold!
- Tankless water heaters: Changing to a tankless water heater won't necessarily save you any water, but you can DEFINITELY save on the energy used to heat the water since they don't keep a heated supply like conventional models and rather heat water "on demand" as it moves through the heater and your pipes.
These few changes can make a world of difference both in your home and for our planet. If you're ready to upgrade to energy efficient plumbing, give us a call at (862) 242-5511 or click the banner below to schedule service online.
If you enjoyed this plumbing article, please check out other posts on our blog and join us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+ to see why the Greenville, SC area calls us "The Picky People's Plumber!"